Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fish Tacos in Lettuce Tortillas

 

07 10 09_5973_edited-1 Sometimes you just need Mexican food...right?!?!  I took a fish taco recipe that my friends introduced me to and turned it totally low carb last night.  Honkytonk (my husband) loved it!  I forgot cabbage at the store (aye yi yi!) and since we live outside of town, there was no hope to go back to the store.  So next time I'm going to try it either using cabbage as the tortilla or inside.  I think it may be a little heavy on the greens if I do both the lettuce wrap and cabbage inside...we'll see.  Let me know if you try it that way.  Also, they didn't have any ripe avocados at the store (you may be hearing me complain about "my store" a lot on here, but they WOULD HAVE been a great addition. 

Please forgive the vagueness of my recipe.  I didn't measure anything, but always check back because I'll try to turn it into a "real" recipe next time I make it. 

Ingredients:

white fish (I used tilapia, 2 filets)

pork rinds (regular or hot if you want heat; i mixed them)

season all

1 egg

oil

Cut fish into small cubes.  Season with Season All.  I highly recommend Season All for fish, but salt would be a good substitute.  Dredge in egg then in crushed pork rinds. Fry in a couple Tbs. of oil on medium heat.  It will only take a couple of minutes or less, turning once.

Beforehand, prepare:

Sauce:

1 cup sour cream

1 Tbs. powdered Hollendaise Sauce Mix (schilling)

1 Tbs. powdered Guacamole Mix

07 10 09_5975

Pico De Gallo:

1 tomato, diced course

4 green onions, sliced small

squirt of lime juice

salt and pepper to taste

tsp. of jalepeno pepper diced fine (you can omit this if you want to.  I found that if you use the spicy pork rinds, that's plenty of heat)

Lettuce or cabbage Tortillas:

Peel off lettuce in whole pieces and cut into smaller sizes resembling cups.  You want them fairly small so you don't overwhelm the other ingredients.

ASSEMBLY:

Place 5 or 6 pieces of fish in the lettuce cups. Top with a couple tsp. or sauce and a spoonful of pico de gallo.  Add a splash of Tapitio hot sauce (Mexican food section of grocery store) and a squeeze of lime.  G

arnish with diced avocados and cilantro. (I forgot the cilantro....oops...and I had some right out in my herb garden...can't blame the store for that one!)

You should have left over sauce and pico, so throw some sour cream sauce in your scrambled eggs or frittata tomorrow morning along with some ham and green chiles and top with the pico de gallo...delicious! 

A big thanks to Josh and Annie for the original recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I'd love to know how it turned out!